How to get started with Milk Testing
- Choose a Lab. We recently switched to Langston DHIA. Email is email@example.com Click here for ADGA's List of Labs
- Choose a test plan. Starting out I recommend signing up for Owner Sampler -40. You will do your monthly testing yourself with one verification test per year done by someone else.
- Get certified to become a tester / receive a herd code. Email Langston for information and they will send you test and materials for testing.
- Sign up with ADGA. Click Here look under performance programs.
- Purchase a milk scale. Here is what we use. Click Here for Scale
- Mail your scale in to Langston to be Certified. Cost is around $15. They will certify it put a sticker on it and send it back to you. You must do this yearly.
- Once you are certified they will send you your paperwork and vials.
- You will receive your first barn sheets in the mail for your first test only they will be blank. You will need to list all your does with registration numbers and the date they freshened for your first test. After that first test they will come pre-filled and you just fill in milk weights.
Thats it! Sounds easy enough right?? Happy Milking.... Get started towards your goals.
Milk Test Information- Goat Gab Podcast