How to get started with Milk Testing
- Choose a Lab. We recommend Washington DHIA. Click here for Washington DHIA contact info. Click here for ADGA's List of Labs
- Choose a test plan. Starting out I recommend signing up for Owner Sampler -40. You will do your monthly testing yourself with one verification test per year done by someone else.
- Get certified to become a tester / receive a herd code. Washington DHIA has a handbook you can order and then request to take the test via email or ask for local classes provided.
- Sign up with ADGA. Click Here look under performance programs.
- Purchase a milk scale. Here is what we use. Click Here for Scale
- Mail your scale in to Washington DHIA to be Certified. Cost is around $10. They will certify it put a sticker on it and send it back to you. You must do this yearly.
- Once you are certified have Washington DHIA send you some test vials.
- You will receive your first barn sheets in the mail for your first test. Your first test only they will be blank. You will need to list all your does with registration numbers and the date they freshened for your first test. After that first test they will come pre-filled and you just fill in milk weights.
Click the Link for the form.
Thats it! Sounds easy enough right?? Happy Milking.... Get started towards your goals.